Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I'm the creepy mom at the library!

Today was storytime at the local library.  C and I love storytime.
1. It's free
2. They have music
3. There is a duck pond behind the library
4. Books, books, books
5. It's free!
We go every week.  It's a good opportunity for us to get out of the house and get some exercise in during the process.  The storytime is only 15 minutes.  Afterwards we go to the kids section of the library and play.  They have puzzles and big, um, well I don't know what you call those things, but they have wires with little wooden knobs and rings that move around in bright colors and kids love them.  You know what I'm talking about?  Good!  Anyway, after that, I stalk the shelves as quickly as I can, before C goes into meltdown mode.  After that we go out to the duckpond.  C can run all over and chase after ducks and swans.  I get my exercise by chasing after him and doing everything in my power to keep him out of the water.  It's not long before he's ready for a very long nap.  Storytime is GREAT!

Today however, was a little different.  During storytime, C hit it off with a little boy about the same age as him.  I was so excited.  The two of them were playing together and saying "hi" over and over.  It was very cute!  The "mom" grabbed the boy up pretty quick afterwards and made her way to the parking lot.  I of course did what any VERY SANE person would do.  I followed her.  To the parking lot.  To her car.  She looked at me and asked "Am I blocking you?"  To which I said, "No.  My name's J.  I find that being a stay at home mom is a lot like dating, so I just wanted to ask you if you and your son would be interested in a playdate sometime.  We don't get out much so he doesn't get much interaction with other kids his age.  It could be here at the library.  I'm not some creepy weirdo, I promise"  Oh, the look of terror that passed over this woman's face was priceless.  Then when I got to the part about not getting out much.  Well, I can only guess that in her head she was screaming "Obviously".  She let me know that she was not his mom, but his nanny, and while she couldn't arrange playdates, she usually brings him to the library early on storytime days to visit the ducks.  If we found them (because obviously, we're creepy stalkers who go hunting people down to make them play with us) then she would gladly let the boys play together.  I told her it was nice to meet her and we left.  I didn't get to pick out any books for us because I thought at that point it would just look even creepier to walk back into the library.  We also did not get to go to the duck pond, so I walked around like a duck and quacked loudly while C chased me.  It was just as much fun.

So now I'm the creepy stalker lady at the library.  I'd bet good money that she does not go to storytime next week.  And if she does, I'd bet even bigger money that she avoids me at all costs.  I feel like such a weirdo loser, and yet I can't stop laughing about it.  How do you meet other mom friends?



No comments:

Post a Comment